Monday, February 8, 2016

Walking on Water

I love teaching at a Christian School and teaching in kid's ministry at church.  I love being about to tell and retell Bible stories that I grew up hearing.  Many of my students also attend church, so sometimes they are hearing the same Bible story over and over.  I always tell them that overtime they hear it, God has something new to teach them....or it might be the same message, but what they need to hear at that time.  Pretty cool how God talks to us in that way.
God speaks to me in these ways as well.  Even though I've taught that story or lesson, He is constantly reaching out His mighty hand and giving me nuggets of His love that I need right then and there.
Last month at church, we were teaching 3 year olds about the amazing things only God can do.  Once again I found myself teaching the Bible story about Peter and Jesus calling him out onto the water.  While in church we were stress the amazingness of our Savior, when I've taught that lesson at school, we have focused on where Peter's focus is.  While his eyes remain locked on Jesus, he stays above the water, but as soon as he takes His eyes off and starts to worry about the waves crashing around him, he begins to sink.
"So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind,[c] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:29-31
I know this story, probably have heard it a million times.  Then why do I forget?  Why do I forget to keep my eyes on Him and not focus on the chaos that surrounds me...the things out of my control? Peter asked Jesus to call him out of the boat, but when things got shaky...he doubted His ability to save him.
I am so Peter.  I don't like it, but I am.  I give my life over to Him.  I ask Him to call me into service, He does and I accept.  So why do I look around and get nervous?  Why, once things get shaky, do I question?  My favorite worship song right now is Oceans by Hillsong.  It is the cry of my heart.  Well, if it is...then I shouldn't be surprised to experience waves, wind, and torrential forces.  
                                              "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)"

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

[6x]
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

Oh, Jesus, you're my God!

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

It dawned on me when I was singing at the top of my lungs int he car that this song was talking about Peter.  I mean, I haven't researched it...but it has to be.  The only thing I would change is where it says 'where feet MAY fail'.  I think we need to acknowledge that our feet are GOING TO FAIL.  We WILL mess up.  However, with our eyes focused on Jesus, we too will walk on the water.   

No comments:

Post a Comment